D DAY Through German Eyes - The Hidden Story of June 6th 1944
4.4 out of 5 stars · 3100 customer reviews
eBooks · Holger Eckhertz
Almost all accounts of D Day are told from the Allied perspective, with the emphasis on how German resistance was overcome on June 6th 1944. But what was it like to be a German soldier in the bunkers and gun emplacements of the Normandy coast, facing the onslaught of the mightiest seaborne invasion in history?
What motivated the German defenders, what were their thought processes - and how did they fight from one strong point to another, among the dunes and fields, on that first cataclysmic day? What were their experiences on facing the tanks, the flamethrowers and the devastating air superiority of the Allies?
This book sheds fascinating light on these questions, bringing together statements made by German survivors after the war, when time had allowed them to reflect on their state of mind, their actions and their choices of June 6th.
We see a perspective of D Day which deserves to be added to the historical record, in which ordinary German troops struggled to make sense of the onslaught that was facing them, and emerged stunned at the weaponry and sheer determination of the Allied soldiers. We see, too, how the Germans fought in the great coastal bunkers, perceived as impregnable fortresses, but in reality often becoming tombs for their crews.
Above all, we now have the unheard human voices of the individual German soldiers - the men who are so often portrayed as a faceless mass.
- D DAY Through German Eyes - Book Two - More hidden stories from June 6th 1944
- The Last Panther - Slaughter of the Reich - The Halbe Kessel 1945
- Tiger Tracks - The Classic Panzer Memoir
- THE GERMANS IN NORMANDY
- Blood Red Snow: The Memoirs of a German Soldier on the Eastern Front
- SS Panzer SS Voices - Eyewitness Panzer Crews - From Barbarossa to Berlin
- Für Volk and Führer: The Memoir of a Veteran of the 1st SS Panzer Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler
- The Things Our Fathers Saw—The Untold Stories of the World War II Generation From Hometown, USA-Volume I: Voices of the Pacific Theater
- The 84th Infantry Division In The Battle Of Germany: November 1944-May 1945
- The Battle of the Huertgen Forest